CT COLT Teacher of the Year
Teacher of the Year -- Program Information
The Connecticut Council of Language Teachers (CT COLT) LANGUAGE TEACHER OF THE YEAR program is intended to elevate the status and the public profile of the language profession in the state of Connecticut. Winners of the state contest will be forwarded to the Northeast Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (NECTFL) for consideration as a National Language Teacher of the Year semifinalist. This program is designed to create opportunities to recognize accomplished members of the language profession. First and foremost, this process is designed to involve all of the state, regional, and national organizations in promoting the language teaching profession. Second, it is intended to create as many media opportunities as possible to increase the visibility and importance of language learning with the media, policymakers, and the general public. The award also recognizes best practices and excellence in the teaching and learning of languages. All state winners will be featured on the CT COLT website and all reginal finalists are featured in the ACTFL Language Teacher Hall of Fame, located on the ACTFL website.
CRITERIA FOR APPLYING
Candidates for state, regional, or national Language Teacher of the Year (TOY) must be full-time world language Pre-K-12 teachers or Postsecondary instructors or professors. There is an expectation of teaching for at least two additional years.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
• Candidates must spend at least 50% of their teaching duty in direct teaching of languages (with no more than half of the language teaching percentage being the teaching of English Language Learners).
• Candidates cannot at the time of such nomination or selection be also nominated for a position on the ACTFL Board of Directors nor nominated for an award given by ACTFL for the year in which that candidate would be placed in eligibility for the ACTFL National Language Teacher of the Year.
• Candidates cannot at the time of such nomination or selection be also nominated for a position on the CT COLT Board of Directors.
PROCESS OF APPLICATION
The COLT LANGUAGE TEACHER OF THE YEAR will follow the policies and guidelines set forth by ACTFL’S National Language Teacher of the Year program. The process begins at the state level with the state language organizations selecting a candidate each year whose application is then submitted to the regional level. The finalist for each of the five regions then competes at the national level. The process outlined below at each level is designed to facilitate the development of the portfolio used in the evaluation process by suggesting certain items at each level for the process leading toward the complete portfolio required at the national level. This process is intended to incrementally add the required elements of the portfolio at each level to encourage broad participation while having sufficient evidence from candidates of their teaching accomplishments and ability to represent the language profession. ACTFL will supply the forms and samples needed so that candidates understand what is required at each level. In addition, there is a detailed explanation of the portfolio items on the ACTFL website.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CT COLT LANGUAGE TEACHER OF THE YEAR
Following are the items that must to be included in the candidate’s portfolio for the CT COLT awards committee:
1. One-page letter of recommendation from a supervisor
2. One-page letter of recommendation from a current student
3. One-page letter of recommendation from a current or former parent or student
4. Curriculum Vitae of no more than five (5) pages.
5. Five-hundred-word personal statement on the value of learning languages and developing cultural competence for all learners.
6. Completed CT COLT Commitment form (available on the CT COLT website) which is a statement of willingness to participate in all required activities associated with the award including:
- a. A commitment to attend the CT COLT Fall Conference (registration is paid by CT COLT), if selected as a state winner
7. Completed Commitment form Available on the ACTFL website), which is a statement of willingness to participate in all required activities associated with the award including:
- a. A commitment to attend the ACTFL Annual Convention (hotel, registration, and transportation are paid by ACTFL); and if selected as the regional winner,
- b. Willingness to serve as a spokesperson for the profession, based on availability.
Please complete all three of these forms if you are applying for the CT COLT Teacher of the Year:
Please click here to download an application form.
Please click here to download a copy of the commitment form.
To complete the online form, please click HERE.